Friday, January 24, 2014

Gator Girl

The truth is I had been sick for a long time. But when my hair started to fall out in such a way that I could no longer hide it, I knew something was wrong. It wasn't until the scales began to grow in that I really freaked out. But I started to feel stronger. And the tail, my tail. Waking up with that thing growing in made for an interesting morning. But when I learned I had control of it, that was pretty cool!

My dad was really supportive! It was great! He bolted these iron bars to the ceiling of my room so I could practice swinging around, lifting things. I got really good at it. And he turned our pool into salt water because the chlorine was drying out my scales.

Mom was supportive in... other ways. She kept enrolling me in these "pageants". Well that's what she called them, but "pageants" aren't held in S & M dungeons at midnight.
Underground freak shows, however, are apparently alive and well!

I was grateful she decided to home school me so I went along with it. I figured this would just be one of my extra-curricular activities. And, I mean, it wasn't so bad. I'd always wanted to try theatre! But I wondered how it would look on a transcript. Then again, I think that would be the least of the challenges a college would have accepting me.

"Gator Girl", that's what they started to call me. Actually, it was started by an old guy wearing a pair of blue leather chaps and not much else. He did a double take when he called me to the stage for the very first time. My mom was about to launch into a lecture about acceptance, but I stopped her. I'd never been popular enough to get earn a nickname that didn't indicate I was some kind of loser or a spaz. And when everyone started chanting it! Well I'd never felt so accepted! 

It just goes to show you! Sometimes what you're born with has to be shed so you can grow into who you really are! You never know what life will open up and show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment